Who should become a CARCC affiliate? Visual and media artists living in Canada, or Canadian artists living abroad, are welcome to sign up with CARCC.
In deciding on affiliation, you should consider whether it will be useful to you. If you have requests for uses of your copyright – exhibitions, reproductions, broadcasts, internet uses, for example – you could benefit from CARCC’s licensing services. If you have works that have already been published in print, you will likely be eligible for the reprography royalties distributed by CARCC. If you are just learning about copyright and how to use it, you might benefit from the advice and experience that CARCC can offer. If you are a veteran at managing your copyrights, you might enjoy some relief from the paperwork, and the support of the collective’s bargaining power. And so on!
Here’s how to join CARCC:
- Please read all the material on this site carefully, especially the About CARCC section, the Fee Schedule, and, especially, the Affiliation Agreement. If you have questions, please call or write to CARCC.
- Fill out the two top sheets of the Affiliation Agreement, sign them, and mail them with an up-to-date CV and a list of media that you use in your artistic practice to CARCC at the address given. CARCC asks that affiliates send an up-to-date cv to CARCC once every two years. A suggested format for an artist’s cv is provided should you need it.
- When your Agreement is received by CARCC, one copy of the Affiliation Agreement will be returned to you, signed by CARCC’s Executive Director. Keep this for your reference – it is a contract.
- Once your affiliation is accepted, CARCC is your representative in the use of your copyright. Please be sure to notify CARCC when a licence is required, as outlined in the How to use CARCC’ licensing services section. There is, as well, a Request for Licence Form available on this site to help you ask the right questions – specific information is needed in order to determine fees and to issue licences. The key to using CARCC effectively is communication, so please let us know when there is a request.
- There is no charge for joining CARCC, however CARCC will retain administrative fees it collects on exhibition licences (which are charged in addition to the fees listed), administrative fees that are included as percentages of other listed fees, as indicated on the Fee Schedule, and a percentage of other royalties, such as the reprography royalties, that it might collect on behalf of affiliates. CARCC is financed solely by the administrative fees collected on its licensing activity.
Membership in CARFAC is separate from an affiliation with CARCC due to the specific kind of agreement that the affiliate signs. One can be a member of CARCC and not a member of CARFAC, however, membership in both organizations is a good thing, and encouraged. Administrative fees for CARCC affiliates who are not members of CARFAC may be higher for certain licences, per the Affiliation Agreement.
- Per the Affiliation Agreement, affiliation with CARCC, once established, is ongoing until the affiliate notifies CARCC in writing that he or she no longer wants to be affiliated. Other circumstances when CARCC affiliation may be terminated by CARCC include prolonged unresponsiveness on the part of the affiliate, or inability on our part to reach an affiliate due to a change of address. Please keep your contact information current with CARCC! Remember, we might want to send you a cheque, a tax receipt, or other important stuff. Contact us - call, email or write to CARCC when you have a change of address.